Monday, January 08, 2007

If I stay it will be double...


It was 72 degrees here on Saturday. 72 degrees in January. At least, that's what the weatherman told me. I didn't leave the house.

I spent the entire weekend watching football and trying to make good on some of those things that are definitely not New Year's Resolutions. I've been temping at the same place since May, and this weekend was the first serious push I've made since then to find a new job. I applied for a bunch of interesting jobs on-line and vowed to apply to at least one new job every day.

So what happens today at work? I get the ominous please-come-into-the-office-with-the-door-closed routine and they offered (finally) to take me on permanently. On the one hand, this is great news, since I will be getting paid more than a temp. On the other hand, this isn't really my field and I'll be doing more work that is less interesting. Unfortunately, I will also lose a lot of my flexibility for taking time off. I may be becoming French in my old age, but two weeks vacation seems pretty ridiculous to me. When you're a temp, they don't have to pay you, so they don't care how much time you take off.

I have to make up my mind fairly soon, but I'm leaning towards taking it. At least it legitimizes me somewhat, and I might even start getting copied on the Employees-All emails. Still, sometimes it's nice to think at the end of the day, "This is only temporary, this is only temporary."

5 comments:

Ann said...

Ned, there's not a single positive thing about staying in this job in your post. Not one.

Of course, I am not you, and you are not me, but think about this long and hard. Write a list of pros and cons. Weight them according to importance, and add it up. Or something.

Anonymous said...

Money is good. Take the money.

(I just had to say something to disagree with Ann, since she and I always agree on everything. Or not. Q.E.D.)

Hellmut said...

Congratulatios, Ned. It's good to be validated.

Garrison Keillor bragged that he determined in college that he would never take a job that he did not like. I guess it worked out for him.

Most of us are not quite so fortunate. I suppose the question is if you can afford to turn down the money. If you can afford to go without it then find something better.

Consider it an investment.

NFlanders said...

It's funny you should say that, Ann, because after I wrote the post I thought I had made the job sound better than it is. I followed your suggestion and made a list. I'll forward it to my boss when I leave. Ha!

Beijing-- Thank you for the independent opinion. Your independence of the Ann-lobby is very impressive. Does this mean I have to get you and Hellmut a gift from my newly-gotten wages?

Hellmut-- I like your way of phrasing it: an investment. I guess you just have to know when to dump the stock.

Ann said...

On the other hand, this isn't really my field and I'll be doing more work that is less interesting. Unfortunately, I will also lose a lot of my flexibility for taking time off.
You thought THAT was making the job sound better? The only positive thing I saw was I will be getting paid more than a temp. And even that was really, really unenthusiastic.