Tuesday, March 13, 2007

New Blog on the Block...


If you haven't already checked out the new blog Main Street Plaza, I suggest that you do. Hellmut has spearheaded the whole thing with help from various people around the DAMU. As the blog states, it's for anyone interested in Mormonism. I have my doubts about much participation there will be by believers, but the point is that everyone is welcome. It is my impression that the blog will deal mostly with the cultural implications of Mormonism, and not so much the doctrinal or religious components.


There's already a great discussion going on here about baptism as a social rite and whether "post-Mormons" can have their kids baptized without being marginalized.


I think it's encouraging that the disaffected side of the Mormon internet is gaining more and more blogs. Although I love the freedom of message boards, their impact seems to be more limited than the potential audience of blogs. Internet searches can bring up old (but still informative) blog posts, but they won't find an equally enlightening message board discussion of the exact same subject. Also, blogs can handle larger numbers of readers and they encourage the formation of even more blogs.


While I don't think the DAMU needs to form its own wing of the bloggernacle (as the two communities are fundamentally different), I do think blogs are the way of the future.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope this new blog gains traffic. I enjoy discussions on Mormon topics, but sometimes feel I'm too much of a non-believer to post my views on the Bloggernacle. I hope believing members will come to Main Street Plaza and participate as well. And the site has a really cool header.

And yay for "Picaresque"!

C. L. Hanson said...

I agree -- I think this is a great idea, and I'm excited to see where it will go!!! :D

Unknown said...

Thanks, Ned!

NFlanders said...

I hope so too, Wendy. And great topic suggestion, by the way.

I have to admit that I haven't felt very comfortable in the Bloggernacle since losing my faith. Hopefully, this new blog will be one of the growing number of helpful places open to unbelievers, like New Order Mormons and FLAK.

CHanson-- You've done a great job over at Main Street Plaza ever since you unwittingly volunteered!

Hellmut-- You're welcome.

Ann said...

Woot! Another Ned sighting!

NFlanders said...

Thanks Ann! In a few weeks I plan to come out of hibernation. Then you'll be sick of me!

Anonymous said...

Ned,
I, too, am hoepful that Main Street can be a place where naclers and damuites can come together in relative peace. Judging by what has happened in previous endeavors to get folks from across the spectrum to post in a single forum, I am dubious but hopeful (I'm a walking paradox, what can I say). When I started my blog, Equality Time, a year ago, I endeavored to find every dismo/exmo/NOM-type blog out there to add to my blogroll. I spent several hours combing the Internet, and I found about a dozen of them (compared to the zillion or so Bloggernacle blogs). I recently updated my listing of DAMU/Outer Blogness blogs and count over 80. And there may be some I am missing.

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely enjoying Main Street. And I must also add that Picaresque is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Don'tcha sometimes wonder where Ned went?

Don'tcha wish he'd come back?

Hope all is well...I hardly knows ya anymore, what with your Whole New Look and all. :-)

NFlanders said...

Hi, Wry! Thanks for stopping by this ghost town.

The Foyer is pretty dead lately, so maybe I'll start posting here again. I'll make sure I change back into my green sweater first!

Anonymous said...

I thought my lack of response indicated tacit agreement, but just in case it wasn't clear - yes, I'm in favor of a renaissance round here. Or at least a post every now and then. ;-)

Wear whatever you find most comfortable - you don't have to put on your woolly jumper in the middle of summer just for l'il ol me.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! Keep it up. Thought you would like this site. Don’t forget to turn up your speakers! Enjoy!

http://ldsartshow.com

Anonymous said...

К стати, лучший способ обезопасить себя от шпионских жучков - купить Подавители сотовой связи