Monday, October 30, 2006

Dark at 4:30 pm

There is no more depressing day than the first Monday after Daylight Savings Time ends.

It shouldn't be dark when you leave work. Isn't there some way we can adopt Daylight Savings Time permanently? Just say, from now on, 4 is 5. Or better yet, just let me out of work at 4.

I'm getting depressed working my crappy temp job from 8-5 every day. The job isn't that bad, but it's depressing to be nearing 30-years-old and only making $24,000 a year. A year ago I was making 10 grand more and having considerably more fun.

I'm not complaining, I have a house and a wife and a car, all things that at one point seemed out of reach for me, but I like to at least have the illusion that my life isn't slipping away from me. And it's hard when it's already dark before you even leave work.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Move to Florida. We still have daylight until 6:00 pm down here. At least you have one hour of sun after work.

Although you probably won't get paid too much more.

Nom de Cypher said...

I prefer to focus on the upside of the equation. The one hour shift means that the sun coming in the window wakes me up, more than the alarm clock.
And I hear ya, about the crappy job. I'm about to be given an opportunity to explore other career options. Not looking forward to it.

NFlanders said...

You make a good point, Anonymous. I guess the extra hour of light down south isn't worth the extra degrees of heat during the summer. I'll take the dark and cold.

Nom-- I'm sorry to hear about your job. Are you going to get into a completely new career? Lately, I've been bothered that I can't figure out what to do with the rest of my life.

Hellmut said...

May be, it would be easier if you could walk to work. I enjoy walking in the dark.

Alienated Wannabe said...

Ned, I am happy to see that you have your own blog! If I were writing for the Simpsons, after Homer died of massive coronary failure, Marge would marry Ned Flanders in the temple--but, that's just me.

God bless you, and keep up the good work! Viva Ned Flanders!

Anonymous said...

Ned, just wanted to say I've missed your posts. Anyway, Merry Christmas.

Seth R.

NFlanders said...

Thanks, Seth. I appreciate your thoughts.

(And you too, Alienated Wannabe. I've kind of spaced out on my responses to comments. Sorry!)

Every day I plan to make a post and then it doesn't happen. It seems like the longer you're away, the better you think the "comeback" post has to be. To avoid that, I promise to post something completely pointless.

Ann said...

Happy New Year, my man. I've missed you.